By Joan R. Kirk and Kenneth Marshall
Published by Oxoniensa in 1956. Find the full PDF Article here (14 pages).
During the month of September, [955, an almost complete pot was brought into the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford, by Mr. R. Gregory. The pot, which had a large hole in one side,’ had been discovered by workmen during the excavation of a drainage trench leading to a septic tank in the garden of a bungalow which was being built for Mr. Gregory close to the village of Harwell.
The site (FIG. 7) is some two hundred yards to the south of the A 417 road (Wantage to Reading) and on the western side of a narrow track known as the Hollow Way which runs south from A 417 on to the downs.
Mr Gregory donated 12 of these objects to the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford. Here are links to collection entries
- Small square-headed brooch with cruciform foot and animal ornament
- Applied brooch with a small bossed centre with a ring of raised dots and alternating six heart-shaped motifs (on display, Second floor | Gallery 41 | England 400 – 1600)
- Blackware pot with round body decorated with four bosses
- String of beads
- Small metal buckle
- Disc brooch
- Disc brooch
- Bronze fragment
Here’s the brooch in the display cabinet on the second floor (#16, centre)
(Unrelated, the Ashmolean also has from Harwell a Rubbing of a monumental brass commemorating John Jennes and wife Margaret, presented between 1840 and 1910)