Results of searching the London Gazette for “Harwell”. 1824 Repairing the Turnpike from Harwell to Streatley 1871 Licencing the Wesleyan Chapel for marriages 1896 Parish Churchyard burial conditions 1916 Discontinuing burial in the Wesleyan Chapelyard, with exceptions 1959 Blocking up a footpath for houses and flats 1967 Changes to Footpaths 4 and 5. 1971 Right […]
The programme for the 2019 Harwell Feast refers back 60 years to the 1959 Feast when money was raised for the setting up of the village hall. It was reported that negotiations were proceeding between the parish council and the technical institute for the purchasing of the institute by the parish. In the end that […]
At the 1993 Harwell Feast, the FOX FM helicopter was kept busy giving rides over Harwell.
With thanks to Richard Amphllett for the following research. Richard left Didcot in 1969, having served in the Post Office as a Postman and then the Berkshire Ambulance Service, with a short spell with Wiltshire, he then ended up in Hungerford for 37 years before retiring to Dorset, where he now helps as a volunteer […]
Bob Otlet – Measuring carbon 14 and deuterium
Eric Greenwood is mentioned in the Village for a Thousand Years. His name is now commemorated in Harwell Village, where Taylor Wimpey have named their houses “Greenwood Meadows“, and in Great Western Park, the main spine road will change from Sir Frank Williams Avenue to Greenwood Way as it passes the boundary between Didcot and […]
Three villagers who live in the village reminisce about teaching Harwell children.
Remembering General Medical Practice in the 60s and 70s in Harwell Village.
Notes from minutes of meetings of the Harwell Parish Council. Prepared by Martin Ricketts and published in Harwell News #176 The Parish Council’s consideration of a site for the Rec at the end of the 1st World War was tied up with the discussion of extra housing provision. At the meeting on 29th Nov. 1917, […]
Newspaper cutting from 1932 when the Harwell Bells were rededicated Bells have been rung in Harwell for almost 400 years. In 1932 two additional bells were added to the older 6 which are now the oldest existing ring of 6 in the world. ( See F.Sharpe, The Church bells of Berkshire p 127) Since 1932 […]